Can you show me your ears?

So I was going to write a post about being married and having a baby. You know, keeping the love alive and whatnot. It’s not always easy, and our love life has definitely suffered a bit for it all. But we are working on getting some romance and fun back into our lives (Adele spent her first night away this weekend and did great!), and the Mr. and I are happy.

Instead, I’m going to write about Adele.

Today was her 15-month check up! How is she getting so old?! She is 24lbs 8oz, 33″ tall, and has a head circumference of 18.5″. She’s in the 90th percentile (or above) in everything. She’s big! She’s hitting all her developmental and physical milestones perfectly, and she’s super smart (but we knew all that already).

But she’s still not doing well. Adele has had an ear infection since mid-September.  :( In fact, she’s had issues since mid-August!

It all started with a yeast rash that was a pain in the butt to get rid of. Then toward the end of August she got a cough that wouldn’t go away. So we went in to see the doctor two weeks later to make sure the cough wasn’t anything. It was a sinus infection and that’s when they noticed the ear infection, so we started the first antibiotic. It ended on a Wednesday, and Adele spiked a fever that same day. By Saturday, she had a fever that was staying about 103 and we had her seen (they wanted to wait to see her until she had the fever for 3 days since all her symptoms went away after a few days on the antibiotic). Anyway, her right ear was horribly infected at that point, so we started a second antibiotic. Which she happened to be allergic to (rash all over by the second dose). So we stopped that one and went back in on Monday for another appointment. Now both her ears are infected, and the allergic rash is confirmed. We started the third antibiotic, which ended on Thursday. At her well appointment today, she still has infected ears and we are now on antibiotic #4. :(

Since this is a very long time for her to be on antibiotics and to have ear infections, we now need to take her to the ENT to see what to do next. At her appointment today, they said we’ll be discussing tubes at her appointment on Thursday. So we’ll see what happens. I don’t want her to have surgery, but I don’t want her to be sick anymore. My poor baby.

Life is hard sometimes, no? Though I do think that we are lucky if this is our hardest hurdle right now.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s