I see recipes on Pintrest and the like all the time for edible cookie dough. Basically, it’s chocolate chip cookie dough without the eggs so you can eat it guilt free. Well, guilt free if you don’t mind all the butter, sugar, and flour in it.
Either way, they all suck. I’ve tried a few different recipes and they all fall far short from what I want. In fact, I sometimes would make the chocolate chip cookie dough, bake a few cookies, and eat a lot of dough, just so I could get the dough taste I wanted. It was bad (for numerous reasons, of course).
So, I decided to make my own. And instead of coming up with some clever recipe for yummy cookie dough, I went back to Nestle Tollhouse’s recipe. Lo and behold, that will easily break down into halves or quarters!
The first time I halved the recipe, and it was a TON of dough. The next two times (yes, I’ve made this too many times, sigh) I quartered it, and it came out perfect! Now, it probably makes what should be considered two servings, but I’m a pig and eat it all. Please spare me the judgment.
So here is my (Nestle’s) “recipe”
- Soften 1/2 stick of butter. You could use something low fat, but you are about to eat sugar, butter (or oil of some sort), and flour. So use the butter.
- Mix in just under 1/4 cup of white sugar and just under 1/4 cup of brown sugar (eye ball it – use less or more to your tastes, but use less than 1/4 cup!)
- Once those are mixed well, add in 1Tbs of milk, 1/4tsp vanilla, 1/4tsp salt, and 1/4tsp baking soda. Now the salt and baking soda are not needed for baking, of course, since we aren’t baking. HOWEVER, they are critical when it comes to the taste of the dough! If you omit them, it will be too sweet and just taste off. Trust me, they are important.
- Mix those all together.
- Then you need to add 1/2 cup flour, plus 1Tbs.
- Mix together, and it’s done!
- Add nuts, chocolate chips, M&Ms, whatever you want and eat!
I assume you could also use this in cookie dough ice cream if you want. But you will love this. It tastes just like chocolate chip cookie dough because it IS chocolate chip cookie dough (minus the eggs).
Enjoy and be happy!