DIY Ring Sling

This project was probably one of the easiest I did during this pregnancy. I am so happy with the outcome! Picture can be seen here (there’s no reason to post it twice).

I used the directions I found on Maya’s site. Seriously, this company is awesome. Most places won’t give you the pattern to their slings/product, so knowing that they do makes me like the company even more. However, I cannot see myself paying $75 for one of these things, especially not with how easy it was to make it. Here is the link to the tutorial I used.

I’m sure you’ve noticed that I do not like seeing the wrong side of the fabric when I make my crafts — it’s why I lined my nursing cover with a coordinating fabric instead of leaving it plain. So I was on the hunt for a double sided fabric. Of course I did not find that at my local fabric store, so I wandered into the linen section and found a great green color. I felt it would be perfect with pretty much any color outfit I could/would wear, so I went with it.

Since I’m so tall, I bought 2.5 yards of fabric. However, I think it may be a bit too long (it almost comes down to my knees!). Since I don’t have a real baby to put in it yet (just my bear that offered up his services for my practice), I’ll wait to see how long it is after this little one arrives. It won’t be a big deal at all to hem it up a few inches. It ended up costing me about $30 to make the entire sling. I did order the rings from the website the tutorial provides. I tried to find something that I could buy in the store, but nothing seemed sturdy enough. I’m glad I ordered them, too. They really are fabulous rings, especially compared to everything I saw at the numerous stores I searched.

My sewing machine didn’t have any issue sewing through all the layers of fabric, so I think most would be okay with this. I did sew five or six rows of stitching for Step 6. I wanted to make sure that it was really strong and I figured it wouldn’t show anyway. I’m glad I did so — it feels very strong.

I did hem the entire sling because I wanted nicely finished edges. This entire project only took me about 30-40 minutes. It was really quick. The longest part was ironing down the hem that I sewed in. I didn’t do it all in one day, though, because I was waiting on my rings to come in the mail.

I’m very excited to start using this sling in the next few weeks to a month! I’ll have to update with a picture of the babe sitting in it. :)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s